1. Learning Objectives
After reviewing this chapter, readers should better be able to:
- Recognize a research problem requiring a multilevel modeling approach;
- Describe the technical and substantive advantages of multilevel models;
- Explain the basic principles of multilevel modeling using graphical, verbal, and statistical language for a range of multilevel models;
- Develop a variety of models that enable quantitative assessment of contextual effects; and
- Apply multilevel models to a research problem according to a well-articulated research strategy.